04 May 2006

A Series of Unfortunate Ramblings

  • I just gave Gracie a copy of The Grim Grotto (Book 11 in the Series of Unfortunate Events) and she actually did a little dance, she was so happy to have that book.
  • Why aren't they all like that? How do I get them all to dance over a book? Is it even possible? How do I get Gracie to stay an avid reader and conscientious student? How, how, how????
  • I have one kid in my 37.5 minute session. He never wants to stay with me (I can understand being freaked by one on one time with a teacher) and I refuse to chase the others. I just mark the rest of them absent, and spend the time getting ready for tomorrow.
  • I had spent a lot of time planning today's activities. I arranged for laptops so some of them could research their artists, collected and organized tons of books, and hauled in all the art supplies I could get my hands on. I was really excited, so of course I found out at 8:10 that ten of my students were chosen to take a field trip. Today. I was about to get really annoyed at them for not telling me, but when I saw who was running it, I knew the kids were not to blame for the late notice. They only found out yesterday afternoon.
  • My biggest pain-in-the-ass kid is actually quite the techie. I thought about bringing in my own laptop for him to use on the days when the mobile lab is unavailable, to get him more interested in doing his work (because he does NONE). But I don't know how to justify that to the rest of the kids who would see it as a reward for bad behavior. I'll figure something out.
  • Pollyanna Rebot will most likely be our AP next year, making my newest favorite word tenure. Because nothing I do will be good enough. I can already tell.
  • It's the time of year when I begin counting the days.

1 comment:

NYC Educator said...

How many days are there, Miss M.?

I've added you to my blogrool, by the way. How did I miss a fellow NYC teacher?