04 October 2006

Extended day sucks: Reason #237

I can’t believe that this only occurred to me today. I will attribute it to being blonde and female.

On Wednesdays, I have four classes in a row in the afternoon. A double period with my homeroom during sixth and seventh, a single period with my other class, and then extended day. Since we do fifty minutes three days a week instead of 37.5, I am actually putting in more time than I would if I taught four regular periods.

Of course, despite being blonde and female, I also realized fairly quickly that I have no leg to stand on as far as a grievance. Had I gone to Mr. Principal earlier, I know he really would have tried to remedy it for me because he’s good like that. Since the extended day is not a teaching period, I probably wouldn’t get anywhere. Also, I have only ten kids, as opposed to an entire class.

Lots of whining in Malarkeyland today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been teaching college for about 16 years now, and I've had many classes with ten or less. I think it's insulting that we were given these things and told they weren't classes.

In fact, in my oversize school, they simply extended the day, and we do, in fact, spend our extra time teaching classes.

Why anyone voted for that contract is beyond me.

Pissedoffteacher said...

My C-6 assignment gives me 5 in a row every day. I can't complain because my 6th class is from a college and they are paying my salary. Of course the school is reaping plenty of benefits from it. It would have been nice to have an actual potty break.